Sunday, May 26, 2013

Days 8, 9, 10 and 11

The mission is now over.  This years FNG's are now experienced riders, old hands at this crazy convoy thing that we do.  I pray that everyone gets home safe.  Not much special happened until yesterday.


I got to the Wall before 0700 and completed my mission. I had a remembrance for Capt Wann, his name is located on panel 3W line 63.  I left the remembrance there.  Then I saluted the colors as a contingent of South Vietnamese soldiers, and families brought a wreath to lay at the apex of the wall.  The statement on the wreath was very very moving. Those people are very grateful to our country for protecting them and for bringing them here.

I watched my brother at the wall, I do not think that he knew I was there. I wanted to go give him a hug, but did not want to interfere with what he was doing, it was a good thing to see.

I talked with a lot of Vets and thanked them for their service and welcomed them home.

I also talked with some folks, including two ladies that wanted pictures of my vest, about the run and our mission.  They were actually amazed that that many bikes ride together all the way across the country.  They were also amazed  that I had ridden from Wisconsin to LA to start the trip.  If you go all the way you ride a little over 7000 miles.

The ride out is pretty intense, but the ride to LA and the ride home is fairly relaxing.

I am staying at Jeff Spades house and he and his wife are just great folks. Ribs for dinner, clean dry clothes in the morning.

Here is a picture of my mission complete

Photo: Mission accomplished
Capt Wann is on panel 3W line 63 of the Wall.  He is missing in action.  He is one of the many reasons we ride.
The following picture is the reason the mission must continue

Photo: And the mission continues

Thanks for reading.  I will be writing more this year than I have last year.  I will try not to rant, I will be honoring a lot more folks, and remembering  a lot more too.

One more day and Clyde will get an oil change, and be put up clean and dry.  It is too expensive to ride him hard and put him away wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, positive or negative all comments will be posted to this blog so that everyone can see them. I will start moderating comments as of today. Please remember that the kids at Rainelle will be reading this blog. I will post your words but may blank anything inappropriate for k thru 12