Sunday, April 17, 2011

Was theCold War for real






There is a movement, and a pretty serious one at that, to make up a ribbon for those of us that served during the cold war. There were a lot of shooting matches, and out right battles during the cold war. We lost a lot of troops during that time. It lasted from just after WWII until the early 90's. There is a ribbon designed for it, and a few Congressmen and Senators that have started a bill.

I served during the Cold War. It was a time of training, and getting ready for a real shooting war. Many of my friends were hurt, and I even lost a few during this time. One of the people that I have dedicated this years run too died in a chopper crash in Sturgis South Dakota during the Cold War. His fire team was in support of a Missile movement at F.E. Warren AFB, when the chopper went down. He actually tried to save his fire team, and threw one of his fire team members from the chopper as it was going down. That young lady survived the crash with some pretty bad injuries, but my friend is credited with saving her life.

That is just one of many stories of people that gave their all for the safety and security of the country.
I lost another friend at Langley AFB when the vehicle he was in rolled over. He saved two people's lives and was killed when the hatch he had been using to save folks closed on him.

So my question is "Was the Cold War for real?" Or did these folks that gave their all die for nothing?

I know it was real, and a few of my friends think that groups like the VFW should welcome our generation into their ranks. I just recently found that because of Desert Storm, and Operation Provide Comfort (also know as Northern Watch) I am eligible to join the VFW, in fact the military even considers me a combat veteran, even though I do not.
So let me know what you think

Bounce

Update on clicks for my donation to the Wounded Warrior Project: We are now over $17.00 This is quite a jump seeing as how we were at $3.03 for over a year. Thanks and keep on clicking those ads. Please feel free to comment with suggestions for me to ad to this blog, and ideas for companies that I should put up as advertisers. Right now I am letting google pick the ads, but I can put anything I want on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, positive or negative all comments will be posted to this blog so that everyone can see them. I will start moderating comments as of today. Please remember that the kids at Rainelle will be reading this blog. I will post your words but may blank anything inappropriate for k thru 12