Monday, May 30, 2011

Rainelle, WV a small town that lives for four days a year

Today I rode back through Rainelle, WV and it was deserted.  All the riders left yesterday, and there was almost no one there.  LZ rainelle was still there as was a replica of the Wall, and the folks with the Agent Orange quilts were there.  I met with the guy that originated LZ Rainelle, and he told me that the town just does not have enough rooms or camping area to sustain the number of folks that participate.  Most either go to Lewisburg, and the Run takes up most of those rooms till Friday Morning, or to Somerville, and that is almost an hour and a half away.  But they still had a good turn out.  They have a church service on Sunday and all the bleachers were full.
I got the rocker for my LZ Rainelle pin. 
\I also got some history from one of the residents about the first run.  They camped in a field near town, and the Mayor did not exactly want the bikers there.  He did later try to run for re election stating he brought them there, but that went no where, as the folks in Rainelle knew he did not like the bikers.

Hot day, and I am tired.  I will be home tomorrow.

\Bounce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, positive or negative all comments will be posted to this blog so that everyone can see them. I will start moderating comments as of today. Please remember that the kids at Rainelle will be reading this blog. I will post your words but may blank anything inappropriate for k thru 12