Saturday, August 26, 2017

Retirement Is coming and I am chasing it hard

This July I turned 62.  This in America is the first year that you can apply to start recieving Social Security, a fund that we pay into our entire working lives.   I quickly found that I cannot afford to retire, yet.   My wife and I are going to do it, and it will happen probably next August.  Until then I will be working, and even though I thought I was leaving Stevens Transport, that won't be happening either.   They want me to stay, and even though it is only for a year more, they want me to retire from there.   So after a conversation with the V.P. of driver relations, and my wife, I will be returning to Texas next week and will be rolling out in a Stevens Truck.  

A lot of my friends from Run For The Wall will be forming up in Angel Fire N.M. next weekend to lay bricks, I won't be there, but after this year I will.   I also have been asked to head up the Central Route Communications team next year, and I have agreed to do that.   I will be looking for at least 3 other riders to help with this.  Merry Starkey will be on the team and as long as Rick is a tail gunner it will work, but if he moves to Platoon leadership it won't, or at least I cannot see how it can work.

In the past I have tried really hard to monitor 2 channels at once, and nothing seems to work, but I may have a solution this year, possibly.   The other three bikes that I need are first a pace bike for me and then another radio bike and pace bike to be towards the front of the pack.  

But that is for the spring, for now I am planning on packing what I need to take tonight, and will be heading back towards Dallas either in the morning, or more likely Monday morning.  There is a little hurricane in Texas right now that may hamper me driving back down there.

Thanks again to all who read this. Comments are moderated, but will be shared in their entirety.

Bounce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, positive or negative all comments will be posted to this blog so that everyone can see them. I will start moderating comments as of today. Please remember that the kids at Rainelle will be reading this blog. I will post your words but may blank anything inappropriate for k thru 12